Monday, May 28, 2012

REPLANT PART 10?

Remember when I told you that it didn't do any good to listen to the weather report? Well, I was right! Saturday night after the hellicious winds it was supposed to get down to 40 degrees. Everything looked fine Saturday night. I got up Sunday morning to water the garden and basically there was no garden!!!!! It got down to 31 degrees during the night. Even the plants I had covered with milk crates got frozen. Every single leaf on the grape vine was black! All those plants I nurtured for two months in the guest bedroom were history. A few plants survived but not much. I ran down to Tom's to see how his garden was doing and his was kinda hit and miss. There would be a couple of plants frozen and the next few would be fine and then a couple of frozen ones. He keeps hoops over his rows with shade cloth so his damage wasn't as extensive as mine. Sooooo today, I pretty much planted the entire garden over. The potatoes will make a comeback on their own. The jury is still out on the peas altho I planted new seeds right next to the ones that looked kind of sick. My onions and spinach are ok tho. I even had a small bowl of spinach for dinner last night. I'm going to have to buy more lettuce because I can't find any in my stash. The flowers in pots next to the house made it just fine. Well back to the drawing board! I've got to start my plans for next year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow ! Freezing at the end of May ! Amazing...

    We're going to build a greenhouse. It may give me shelter if I end up in it (serving as a dog house) from time-to-time ! ~

    ReplyDelete