Saturday, May 12, 2012

Snakes and other things

 Pa decided to go to the community well here on the ranch to see about the water situation. On the way we spotted many Hedgehog cactus blooming. What a beautiful spot of color!
 We spotted this snake in the road. He took offense at me nudging his tail with my foot. I just wanted to get a better picture. It is only a bull snake. They are so pretty.
 At the well. You have to have your own generator and hose. After pumping less than 180 gallons, the well went dry. Now it says in our sales contract that we are allowed to get 4000 gallons a month from the community well. How the @#%&* are we supposed to get that many gallons of water when it runs dry before we even get to 180 gallons? and then it took 45 minutes to even get that much. The guy who drilled the well told us he suggested they put a solar pump on it and a 10 thousand gallon holding tank so we wouldn't have these issues. The real estate office didn't want to spend the money. The POA doesn't want to spend the money either. I really feel we could have one heck of a law suit if we had the money to sue! The water did taste good and made the best coffee! 
 Safeway was having a sale on London Broil for $2.29 a pound which is cheaper than hamburger so we got 5 of these big packages. I cut them into meal size and froze them. When I want hamburger for something, I will get out my Kitchen Aid mixer and my meat grinder and grind away. It tastes so much better than store bought hamburger. The meat doesn't have enough fat in it for hamburger patties so I just use it for meat loaf, tacos, and stuff like that. I'm going to try to mix it with olive oil to see if it will make moister meat patties.
 Pa ran in the house yesterday, shouting "get your camera and come here" . One of our snakes emerged from under the shed. What a beauty! He went under the water truck and motor home looking for mice.
 He's about 4 feet long.
 Hello! Anyone home?
These snakes are great for keeping the mouse population under control. They eat small rabbits also and best of all, they eat rattle snakes. I haven't seen any rattlers out here but I did see a badger on our road. Of course I didn't have my camera. I was afraid he would bolt across the road so made Pa drive slow.
Pa had to take Lil Abner to the emergency room Thursday night. He had a high fever and was  loaded with infection. The hospital wanted to fly him to Flagstaff but couldn't because the Springerville airport was closed due to resurfacing. Isn't that amazing? You could die because they were resurfacing the airport. They could have put a helicopter in the parking lot of the hospital. Poor Pa didn't get home till 1:30 in the morning. Lil Abner is still in the hospital. We haven't heard exactly what the problem is but they have him in isolation and the Dr and staff wear space suits to treat him.
Well I hope you didn't die of shock seeing I've written two posts for this month. I always feel I should include pictures so wait till I have something to show. Oh,,,,I had to replant my greenbeans which I did today and will replant my lima beans on Monday, lettuce too. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it to garden. My poor strawberries are dying at an alarming rate.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment