Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Monsoons are still here!

 I was meandering around our property and came across this pretty little flower. It is called a Prairie Spiderwort. I found a few, dug them up and planted them in front of the house. Most desert plants don't like to get replanted and immediately fall over in a dead faint, never to recover. Some made it and some didn't. I've not had much luck with taking cuttings of trees either. I got some kind of willow and some cottonwood cuttings and put them in water to root. Didn't happen!!! I've no idea what I am doing wrong. I added some Super Thrive which is a rooting hormone when I tried the willow but it didn't help. Oh well, willows take a lot of water anyway.
The five yellow scallop squash are producing like crazy. We've harvested a few cukes too. I replanted spinach and have had a harvest of that already. My new peas are getting ready to bloom and the corn is mostly tasseled and has produced corn! It's not ready to harvest yet. Pa redid the gate to the garden so it is easier to get in to. I am so full of ideas for next years garden, I can hardly wait. Our friend Tom has been having problems with beetles eating his potatoes and didn't think it was right that we were not having any kind of bug problem. Well, we did have aphids which ate my lima bean leaves. I gave them a good squirt of insecticide made of chrysanthemums. Now the limas are in full bloom. A couple of days ago we found some beetles on our tomato plants so we picked them off and squashed them and then added spray. Hopefully that will take care of them. Ok, how in the world would a potato bug find it's way out to the middle of nowhere , where there has never been a garden, and of all places find Tom's garden to light in. That's the question of the century. The nearest garden is 25 miles away!!!! He said he's never seen one in flight so did they walk in?
The cherry and grape tomatoes that are growing in pots by the house are ripening. They are so yummy.
Pa has decided to add on a small room to the battery shed and house the big generator in there. When it is on, it makes the battery shed too hot and overheats the batteries. I am so looking forward to hauling and shoving that darned generator around to the other side of the shed. That puppy is heavy!
We had a visitor last night. He was catching flies on the screen. The dogs saw him and went crazy. Tilly was jumping on her hind legs trying to reach him. It was really funny to watch.
Right now it looks like the clouds are just about ready to open up and pour down on us but so far we've had a few sprinkles. According to the weather reports, next week is supposed to be a wet one. But if you listen to three different channels or check three different web sites, they will all say something different. so it is just a guessing game here. I love the rainy weather. My body feels so much better in the cooler weather. I dug out my Gatorade and have been having a glass or two each day which really helps a lot.
Nothing really earth shattering to report. All's quiet on the ranch which is a good thing. I'm going to town to get the mail tomorrow. I haven't picked it up for a week so maybe something good will be in there. Like a check from Publishers Clearing House? Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment