Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Big Adventure

 What a great day we had yesterday. We stopped and picked up Tom and his dog Max and went exploring for the day. I thought we would only be gone for a couple of hours so didn't use any sunscreen so my shoulders got a bit sunburned. Pa finally took off his t-shirt so I could wear it to protect my lily white skin. Pa rarely gets sunburned, he just tans.
 We took Tom to high country where there are some pine trees and lots and lots of huge rocks. We picked up a couple of nice flat ones to put in the front yard.
 I've always had a fascination for rock formations. I just love 'em!
 Since our monsoon rains, flowers are popping up all over. Each week now, we should be seeing more and more.
 I found this beautiful hedgehog cactus. Isn't it great?
 We tried to drive the truck up to the top of this hill but it couldn't make it so we climbed to the top. You could see forever. We are right at the edge of New Mexico.
 What a view!
 I told you I love rocks!
 On the other side of the ranch, we drove to the top of a mesa. Tom found an arrowhead. Wouldn't you know, I walked right past it. My foot print was right next to it! Darn it.
 The rock formations are so very interesting.
 Hoodoo? You do! Lots of Hoodoos to see.
 Well, at least it isn't humming birds.
 I'm surprised we didn't run into any rattle snakes out here. Might have been too hot.
 This is like a sink hole. In another thousand years, the earth will erode away and another rock formation will be at the edge of the cliff. This was inland about 50 feet away from the cliff edge. It is 10 or 12 feet deep.
 A lonely little Hoodoo with a rock sitting on top of it.
I don't know what kind of flower this is but it has a faint sweet smell.
Here is the find of the day. Another arrowhead I walked right by. This is red jasper. Pa found it. We finally made it home about 4 so I invited Tom in for dinner. I made burritos from the left overs I had from the night before when we had Daisy Mae over for tacos. Pa took Tom home and came back with lettuce and squash from Tom's garden. We all had a wonderful, fun day. Tom had never seen that part of the ranch. Next time we are taking him to see the black petrified wood.  He's never been to that part of the ranch either. Next time I will be better prepared and have lots of sunscreen on and a shirt with longer sleeves. I can hardly wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment