Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gluttons

 Are you tired of hummingbirds yet? Too bad! I'm not. We now have a flock of 12 hummers eating us out of house and home.
 They are going thru two feeders every other day. I'm going to have to buy one of those big tubs of sugar that people buy to store in case the world ends. They sell them at Walmart. As a matter of fact, the Walmart in Show Low sells a lot of different # 10 cans of various survival foods. I think about buying some everytime I go in but my bill is too high. It's those darned dogs. I spend more on them than I do on us. The dogs have become addicted to Milo's treats, especially the chicken ones.
 Oh my gosh, isn't this hummer cute? I never get tired of watching them. Sometimes the beating of their wings get so loud, you can't concentrate.
 Every once in a while, you will see one of the hummers reach over and eat a tiny bug that is crawling on the feeder.
I am soooo beautiful! With all the monsoon rains, the other birds, finches and such are able to find water every where so they have abandoned us for now.
We've been helping Daisy Mae while Lil Abner is away. Pa took the water truck to town to get her a load of water. This will be a day long project and Pa will come home exhausted after being beat half to death driving the water truck over our roads. He doesn't know it yet but he will also have to look at her generator to see why it isn't working. Unless everything is set up and in perfect working order, this is no life for a woman alone. We know of one woman who is writing a book and she lives alone. She started out here last winter and couldn't take the cold. She was in a motor home. Anyway she left for warmer climes and is back now. Another woman who owns the "5 M Ranch" (mine, mine, mine, mine, mine) is planning on moving out here on her own. She's been working two full time jobs for years, saving up for the big day. She ain't no spring chicken either! If something happened to Pa, I think I would sell out and move to Oregon. I couldn't handle the water truck on my own altho we have been filling our 250 gallon water tote every time we go to town and putting that in the 4000 gallon tank. So I guess I could do that. I had Pa write down the instructions on how to start the big generator incase the batteries run down for some reason. You have to be prepared for just about anything, living off the grid. It would be a tough life for a woman alone.
I'll take some pictures of the garden today and give you an update on that sometime in the next few days. My corn is starting to tassel even tho it is only up to my waist.  That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment