Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wind with a chance of rain and snow

I don't know about you but this looks like more than 35 mph wind gusts to me. I got paint on my shirt so had to do a hand wash to get it out. I did pretty good actually. I usually get paint all over me. Today one spot on my shirt and one spot on the dog. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time!
     Due to the forecast of wind and maybe rain and snow, we thought it would behoove us to get the battery room painted. It's made out of chip board or what ever you call it. I could just see it swelling with water and popping apart. I started early and got the whole thing painted before noon. It took exactly a gallon of paint but then Pa wanted to put some trim on so we will have to open the other gallon later. I was waiting for him to caulk the joints but ran out of patience and told him he could do that later and I would repaint over them. He is going to put on a metal roof but in the meantime, he put tar paper on the roof to protect it from the elements.
     I got  a big shock the other day when I got my Verizon bill for the internet. We went over one gigabyte and they charged me an extra $60.00! I thought it would only be $10.00 by reading their booklet but that is only for those little notebooks, not a lap top. So we really have to watch our usage. After we get the house set up, I may get Wild Blue also and after we use up Verizon, switch over. We are committed to 2 years with Verizon, darn!
   I have been busy spraying my Krylon Hammered paint on everything. I am getting tired of cabinet hardware. You don't realize how much you have until you start taking handles and knobs off the cabinets. One of my cans of paint doesn't look right and is leaky so my latest handles will have to be redone after I get a new can of paint.   
 This is a magazine rack I took out of my neighbors trash in Vegas. I have to replace the top but painted the iron and it turned out quite nice. Now to find a nice piece of wood.
 This is a chandelier my dad made for me. It is made out of thin slices of rock and made in the Tiffany style. It's been packed away forever and I wanted to include it in our new house. My dad was very talented, even making his own rock saws.
 This is one of the bathroom lights I painted with the hammered paint. It looks so much better than silver. More rustic
 At a garage sale just before we left Vegas, we bought a bunch of antique pop crates. One of them had all sorts of antique bottles and cans. Notice the Hershey candy bar box? Now who would have kept that for all these years?
   Here is another pop crate full of goodies. I forgot to take a picture of the graniteware coffee pot we got. It is very ornate and pretty.
    Lil Abner helped Pa finish the battery room so the next day, Pa and I moved the 500 pound generator into the battery room. What a job that was! We used two metal poles, two come alongs and a pry bar, not to mention our superior muscles and heaved and hoed and got it into the truck and over to the room. Then we did everything in reverse and unloaded it. Where's Superman when you need him?
    And there it is, in it's final home. Pa took the shipping crate off later in the day. I know it looks small but it really did weigh 500 pounds. Bengay anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment