Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pa's got the collywobbles!

Pa made it home about 9:30 last night from Vegas with a generator that should work. The mother board was fried. Now how can it be fried after only being used for an hour or so? Anyway the poor guy ate some tacos in Winslow and immediately knew something was wrong. He managed not to barf until he got home. We unloaded my houseplants and left everything else in the truck.
This morning all the food he bought at Costco with our expired card was dumped all over the kitchen so I could sort it out, divide it out and freeze it. He also brought some chicken breasts home from Liberio Mexican market. The wonderful meat department manager always gives Pa the chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound even tho the going price was $1.69. He even threw in two containers of their chicken marinade. Then there were the onions for 20 cents a pound whereas they are close to a $1.00 a pound here. Shall we mention the asparagus that he got at the 99 cent only store for 99 cents? Here it is $3.99 a pound. Yes, there are things I miss about Vegas. Pa mentioned how awful the traffic was. Here at the ranch we might, might see a vehicle go past our place every two weeks or so. There actually is a rush hour in Saint Johns when the workers at the power plant get off work. Maybe 30 cars or so?
Pa went back to bed while I sorted thru all the meat. When that was done, I planted my potatoes and watered the garlic and shallots I planted yesterday. He didn't feel well enough to unload the generator. My gosh, it takes two oxen and Paul Bunyan to move the darn thing.
Mercy, we had a slight scare this morning. We thought Tilly had wandered off and got picked up by an owl or hawk. We called and whistled forever to no avail. I asked Pa if he checked the truck to see if she got in there and he said he had. Just as I was about to burst into tears at the thought of losing MY dog, I glanced in Pa's truck and there was her little head peering out the window. He looked in my truck which was the one he took to Vegas but didn't think to look in his. Turns out he just opened his truck long enough to put something in there and didn't notice Tilly jumping in at the last minute. Good thing I found her early because it is supposed to be in the mid 70's today and she would have been toast. Every morning, she is at the window checking out all the rabbits eating their breakfast and there is nothing better she'd like to do than go after one. I thought that may have been what she did and lost track of where she was. With no water out here, it wouldn't take long for a little dog to expire.
Oh, for Mother's Day Pa brought me home some Portabella baby mushrooms and some chocolate covered strawberries and two chicken breasts from El Pollo Loco. (Now that is one place that I do miss!) In that rough exterior there does beat a tender heart. Way to go Pa!

No comments:

Post a Comment