Sunday, April 24, 2011

A little more organized

 After running to Show Low earlier in the week to return my shelving, I finally got the shelves up to house my cookbooks. There is a desk in the kitchen which I thought was the best place to put them. For years, I have kept a little bulletin board in the shape of a house so was happy to finally put it somewhere I could use it. It was originally some kind of display piece that I rescued  years ago when I worked for Alpha Beta. That was in the early 80's!  I also got to put up an antique letter/bill holder made of tin. In order to keep the books from falling off the shelf, I bought corbels and attached them to the top side of the shelf to use as book stops. Works like a dream. Hmmmm, I have a lot of cookbooks for someone who hates to cook. My big problem is that it seems that in every recipe, there is something in there that Pa will not eat so that gets a bit discouraging. Me? I'll eat anything except eggplant and buttermilk altho I will use buttermilk in recipes.
I dug out my wolf pictures and put them on the wall between my shelves in my craft room.
 A couple more of my wild life goodies went on the remaining wall in my craft room.
 Originally there was a valance over the bath tub in the master bath. I guess it was to give the illusion that you are looking out the window while you are soaking in the tub. I took that down and put a shelf above the mirror. I will probably add some greenery to give it an exotic look.
 Once again I was so sure Pa would be excited to have his own man cave but he doesn't seem the least bit interested in organizing it.
 We are getting used to the way the living room is organized. At first we had the sofa under the window but it interfered with watching tv.
 The sofa now backs up to the entry way. We figured that dirt and dust would fall off our shoes by the time we walked the length of the entryway on tile and stepped on the carpet. Time will tell!
 My plans were to sand the dining room table down a bit to get rid of the water spots but I decided to just apply the varnish and see what would happen. Fortunately, it did the trick and the table now looks brand new. The dining set used to belong to Pa's mom. One day we were at her house and I mentioned how much I loved the rose picture she had on the wall above the dining table. She stated that I could have it when she died but I would have to take the dining room set along with it. She was always going on and on that she wished Pa would put his name on the things he wanted after she and her husband were gone. On one visit as a joke, we got a stack of post it notes and put Pa's name on it and after his parents went to bed, we went around and put post it notes on everything, including the toilet. The next morning, his mom said " Well, I glad you finally let me know what you want." She was totally serious and never got that the whole thing was a joke. Pa and I laughed and laughed about that.
 This is probably one of the only times this table will be completely empty. I also varnished the top of my oak buffet and it looks as good as new.
 Pa cut the trim around our home made kitchen table so I stained and varnished it also. I still need to fill the tiny space between the trim and tile. I'm thinking I'll just get some tan caulking and use that as the space is too tiny for grout.
I bought this old cow bell at a garage sale before we left Vegas. I love the sound of it so hung it outside. When the wind blows, the bell rings. It is such a comforting sound to me.
Yesterday, Pa and I went down the road to the mountain of horse poo and got another truck load. I unloaded it this morning. Just as I got started, the wind started up. Lesson for the day: DO NOT WEAR LIP GLOSS WHILE SHOVELING HORSE SHIT. I think the reasons are obvious!
 SNAKES ON THE PLAIN
 This big beauty was basking in the sun this morning. He and his buddies live under one of the storage sheds. He was so beautiful!
 He is a little shy so back under the container he went.
After I came back in to down load the pictures, Pa said the snake came back out to sun himself again. They are great for keeping the mice down. It will be interesting to see what the dogs do when they see him.
My 50 strawberry plants arrived yesterday so I must get them planted soon. If this darned wind would ever stop, I will borrow Big Tom's roto tiller and get things going. Lots of my horse poo has already blown away and I need to get it worked into the soil before the rest of it disappears.

No comments:

Post a Comment