Monday, April 18, 2011

Caught up on laundry

 Pa made me some clothes line poles. As soon as the cement sets, he will add the clothes line. I won't be able to hang the clothes out on windy days unless we want our clothes full of sand. Breezy days should be ok. Some people don't like clothes that have been hung on a line because it makes them too rough but I really love the outdoorsy smell.
 Pa put some turnbuckles on one end so we can keep the lines tight. He did such a great job on the poles. He is always concerned about using up our stored power in our batteries so this should  ease  his mind somewhat. We are having an issue with our generator. It keeps blowing fuses. And guess what? Since we are using it for backup in case our batteries get too low, it is not under warranty!!! It is only under warranty if we would use it as a backup if we were in town, hooked up to regular power. What a bunch of crap!!! We would have bought a different kind if we had known that. We have a huge investment in this generator so can't replace it. I'm going to dig out the paperwork and see if it says anything about being off the grid.
 Anyhoo, I had two weeks of laundry to do so I used the dog pen fence as a temporary clothes line. I secured the clothes and towels to the fence with clothes pins and it worked quite well. It was breezy and everything dried quickly.
Guess what this is. It is a mountain of horse poop. Someone further down the road from us had to give their property back to the real estate company due to a divorce. We heard that there was a mountain of horse poop left behind and it had been sitting there for 2 years. Just what I need for my garden. I grabbed my shovel, some trail mix, water and my gun and headed over in my trusty truck. It took about an hour to load the back of my truck. This poop has been sitting here turning itself in to perfect fertilizer. It was like digging up peat moss and smelled like a bag of Miracle Grow. I got half of it unloaded once I got back home and ran out of energy to unload the other half. That is on my list of things to do today. I want to go back and get one more load. Hopefully I can talk Pa into helping.
   Pa found two snakes making whoopee right in front of our storage container. He said they were about 4 feet long. He ran in to tell me to get my camera but by the time I got out there, they had slithered under the container. He thought they were King snakes which will help keep the mice down. Since moving into the house, we don't get to see our birds in the morning. I moved the bird bath in front of the kitchen window and they either haven't found it yet or don't like being so close to the house with no trees to perch in. I scattered some bird seed around, hoping to attract them. I'd like to cut down one of the dead trees on our property and stick it in the ground by the bird bath to see if that would entice them but Pa says no to that idea.
   That's about it for now. Sorry our life isn't more exciting but at least you know we are still alive out here. One of our friends called yesterday and asked Pa if I was still alive. She said she would never come to visit us because we didn't have street lights out here. She is definitely a city girl. She doesn't know what she is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment