Sunday, July 22, 2012

Don't fence me in!!! Yes please do!

 We are in the midst of our monsoon season. Every afternoon dark clouds appear and if we are lucky, rain will fall for a few minutes. ( I prefer an hour or more!) I love watching the lightning and hope it doesn't start any fires. We just hope we get enough to collect so we can fill up our 3000 gallon rainwater tank for the garden.
 We get some beautiful sunsets this time of year. Oh, good news! Something was eating the lilac bush at the side of our house so I put a rat trap out there. Nothing happened. The bait would be gone but the trap wouldn't be sprung. Next I put a mouse trap out there with a piece of dog food in it and for 5 nights in a row, we've caught 5 mice!!! The Lilac bush heaved a sigh of relief and is sprouting leaves like crazy. We harvested our first cucumber from the garden. The skin was so bitter I thought we'd have to throw the cuke away but I peeled it and it tasted fine. I have a yellow straight squash about ready. It is a  non stop battle with the potato bugs. We go out every morning and evening and pick them off and squash their ugly little bodies!!!! I really resent them being on my grape tomato plants because they are scrawny as it is and being eaten by bugs isn't helping them any.
 Pa is in the process of fencing in our 40 acres to keep the cows off the property. This is about the first 400 feet. Luckily half of the property is already fenced to separate us from state property.
 Wayne came over to lend a helping hand. They are taking a break after putting up the first row of barbed wire.
 Pa made the thingy ma jig on the back of the grannie mobile to hold the barbed wire. He's good at those kind of things.
 Lucy was the supervisor on this job.
 It sure helps Pa to have a helper. I don't have much strength in my hands and have a heck of a time squeezing the clips around the post to connect the wire.
After two strings were put up, Wayne felt sick from being dehydrated. He almost passed out. He came in and collapsed on the couch were I filled him with liquids. I had some coconut water ( it tastes like crap) but I made him drink it anyway and then made him a big glass of Gatorade plus water. He stayed for dinner and then we all watched "I Bought a Zoo". He felt bad that he couldn't put up the third row of wire. Pa can outwork guys half his age. Shoot! Pa can work out side in the hottest weather and keep going like the Energizer Bunny. Even being in the house, the humidity drains all my energy. I'm such a wuss but that's what you get when your body won't sweat. Pa looks like he is raining when he is working on something. I can be out in the sun for a few minutes and start feeling sick. At least if I wear a hat and stay in the shade, I can be outside in the summer. In Vegas, I was housebound all summer. I must say I am really looking forward to the cooler days of fall and cold days of winter. That's when my body feels better.
We will be so glad when Pa gets the ranch fenced in. We are so tired of chasing cows and stepping over cow poop.
At the annual POA meeting, everyone voted to get the community well fixed so we could actually use it. There wasn't one dissenting vote. We all want a huge holding tank and solar panels to make it work. Well guess what? The officers of the board had a meeting and decided they weren't going to do anything at all about it. They don't give a damn about the property owners. They force us to drive 50 miles round trip to the ice plant to buy  water. It costs us at least $40.00 a month to get water. The community well is free . What's wrong with this picture? The main goal of our officers is to make sure their friend has the road maintenance contract. They won't even take bids on the roads.Not one single penny has been spent on the well since it was put in. We can't vote the officers out because one of them controls over 300 property votes plus his own 17 properties. He basically hand picks who he wants on the board. They wont' even let property owners attend the meetings!!!! That is against the law in Arizona but no one has the money to fight them in court. Most of the property owners don't even live out here so they have no idea what's going on, they just believe what the POA president tells them.
Well, that's about it for now! Talk to ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment