Friday, July 13, 2012

They Came, They Saw, They Ate

I just can't get a break!!!!! With the monsoon rains, my garden finally decided to grow. The tomatoes are/were
doing great, the potatoes were thriving....and then came the potato bugs! I was at Tom's looking at his garden and he was telling me that he was standing out side, looked up and saw a swarm of potato beetles flying in. He said they were all over his garden. He picks them off by hand, UGH! I primly stated, I didn't have any. Remind me not to brag. That same day when I went out to inspect the garden, I spotted......potato beetles!!!! They could care less about the potatoes. They want my tomato plants! I have sprayed them with Neem Oil which kills some of them but the suckers just keep coming! I've stomped on kazillions of them and even picked a bunch of them off and killed them. I could use a flock of sea gulls to fly in and eat them. Or a guinea hen. I read they will eat the bugs but not the plants. I don't know who is going to win this war but I don't think it will be me.
Something has been eating my lilac bush. I baited a rat trap and the bait was eaten but not tripped so tonight Pa put in a mouse trap so we shall see what we have in the morning. I don't know if I will even bother with a garden next year. It makes me feel like such a failure! Yeah, I know, " If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." WHATEVER!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment