Sunday, March 25, 2012

"In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle"

 Ok, so I jumped the gun. I couldn't wait to start gardening so started pumpkins, zucchini, tomatoes, yellow, green and pepperocini peppers and a couple of other things.
 The pumpkins are growing about a half inch a day. By mid May, they will probably have baby pumpkins on them! Last year my squash was in full bloom by the time I planted them outside.
 You can almost watch them grow!
 Brocolli, I only had one plant survive last year so I planted plenty this year.
Tiny tomatoes. I have 5 different kinds this year. I was so impressed with my Prudens purple last year, I had to grow more this year. Pa didn't care for them so I planted Early Girl, and Mortgage Lifter to see how he liked them. Also grape tomatoes. I want to use them to make Sun Dried tomatoes. And cherry tomatoes cause Pa likes them.
  Bad news, I checked my blood pressure for the first time since moving here and it is pretty high. So back on my diet I go. If I can lose the weight I gained back, it should go back down. I hate being dependent on pills to keep me alive so will do what I have to so I don't have to take them. Pa's mom at one time was on 18 different meds. If I had to do that, I would just tell everyone good bye and cash out.
  I ran into Saint Johns on Friday to get the mail and get a load of water. When I got home, Pa made me pump the water into the holding tank. He said I needed to learn that if anything happened to him. I told him I didn't want to learn because if I did, he would expect me to do it all the time. I already knew how to do it in theory, I had never put it into practice. We use our old pool pump to pump the water into the big tank. I really can't see us hauling water when we are in our 90's but who knows? We will do what we have to do. Besides that, I'm planning to live till I'm 110 so I'll be hauling lots of water from town.
   It's cloudy today and is supposed to be windy. But 72 degrees! We have the weirdest weather here. I don't know why we even bother to listen to the weather report. Even the report coming from Show Low isn't accurate for our area.
  Pa is going to Show Low on Tuesday. He had an appointment with the VA but they cancelled it until April. He is still going because he called his long lost cousin twice removed and they are meeting for lunch so they can meet for the first time. This guy's mother had the same last name as Pa and I think the connection is their grandfathers were brothers.
  Last week I was driving down our road and found a dead cow across  from our house. I called the dreaded rancher and let him know. He was out within an hour and dragged it away. I'm glad he was prompt because we didn't want to smell it all summer. I don't know what is going on this year, but this is the fourth dead cow we've heard about. And the coyotes hadn't even been around the one across the road. You'd have thought they would have taken advantage of a free meal.
  Not much new here at the ranch. Pa and I did more exploring on the ridge behind our property. There must have been a huge encampment because pottery shards are scattered for at least a mile if not more all along the ridge. Fascinating!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Linda, Stopped by to tell you that yes I will be doing a tutorial on beads from pop bottles!

    ReplyDelete