Friday, April 6, 2012

Snowflake bound

Just a quick update. We have to be in Snowflake today at 4:30 to pick up my order of fruit. I ordered blackberries, boysenberries and blueberries. They come in 14 pound boxes. They come by truck from Boring, Oregon and are grown at Bithel farms (www.bithellfarms.com/). I guess anyone can get all their friends and family to order and they will deliver to one place and everyone shows up to claim their berries. Most of the berries are $39.00 a box and the blueberries are $43.00. I don't care if it's a good deal or not, I can't get anything like it around here. I don't know if my blackberry bushes survived the winter or not.
I received my strawberry plants and got them planted. Also planted potatoes. I ordered a Wisteria vine and 3 spruce trees and planted them in pots for now. I noticed some cherry tomatoes coming up in the pot I had one planted in last year. Oh! I had to prune back the squash and pumpkins growing in the guest bedroom. Yes, just like last year, they were trying to put on blossoms! I made some seed tapes using tissue paper, water based glue and seeds. That way, my carrots , lettuce, spinach and radishes will be evenly spaced and I won't have to thin them out. The tissue paper and glue will melt eventually when I water the plants. I figured why pay extra for seed tapes when I can make my own? Last year, all my carrots ended up at one end of the planter box because the water picked them up and deposited them down hill. Pa made cages to protect my lilac bushes yesterday and today discovered something ate them right down! I am so disappointed! I may put the milk crates back on them or put something on top. Last night as we were watching tv, we heard a loud thump against the house. We have no idea what it was but we have heard it before. I told Pa it might be Big Foot. I've heard they throw rocks at people and houses. We haven't seen any foot prints tho....thank goodness!
Haven't been doing anything crafty lately. Pa's been spending the days tinkering in his shop. Well, that's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment