Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

Pa woke me up this morning at 6 to tell me he was on his way to town to pick up a couple of telephone poles. Really! He could have left me sleeping, I wouldn't have minded. Right after he left, the dogs started barking so I got up to see what they were barking at. Looking out the back window, I see the yard full of cattle. I grabbed the pellet gun and threw some extra pellets in my mouth and ran out the door. Mind you, I'm in my nightgown with a flannel shirt over it and my Crocs for shoes.And the temperature was below 32 degrees. Can you picture that? All I was missing was knobby knees and hairy legs. Oh wait a minute, the hairy legs were there and my knees are too fat to look knobby. Well I chased those bovine interlopers clear off our 40 acres and sent them packing on down the road. As long as I was up and totally awake, I decided I would surprise Pa and bake him a cake for his birthday tomorrow. Got the cake all mixed up, had the oven prewarming, poured the batter into the cake pans and that's all she wrote. The power went out, the batteries were dead. Ok I thought! I'll just go and turn the little generator on and get the power going again. Great plan except that Pa took it with him to power up the chain saw he was going to use to cut the telephone poles in half . And the big gennie didn't have a battery in it. By 8, the sun hit the solar panels and I was in luck. Into the oven went the cake. I was so inspired, I decided to make a loaf of white bread and some chocolate chip cookies.
 Pa loves these with the Hershey chips and Hershey recipe. My buddy Katie is coming over to play in my craft room tomorrow so I wanted something for her to snack on.
 absolutely delicious!
 I had to stop with the cookies because my bread was as raised as I wanted it to be and bakes at a different temperature. By then my back was killing me from being on my feet so long so I was grateful for the 35 minute rest.
The cake? Well after sitting in the cake pans for an hour before baking, it turned out airy (full of holes) and crumbly. I glued it together with frosting. Pa's surprise? He got home before it was done. Oh, well my heart was in the right place. The cookie jar is full and I made enough to send over to a couple of neighbors. I made my self a cup of tea and set it down somewhere and couldn't remember where. After searching the house twice, I finally found it in the bathroom! I must be tired because I don't remember setting it down in there. Old age maybe? Lets just go with being tired.
Yesterday the weather was almost 70 with heavy wind. Today our high is supposed to be 40 with heavy wind. And a chance of snow. I have never seen such weird weather!
I've done all the chores I'm gona do today. My back is still having fits plus something else went south, feels like a rib because it hurts to take a deep breath. Lordy! I'm falling apart and I'm still young! Well, younger than Pa anyway! I've been hanging upside down like a bat on my incline board and nothing is popping into place. I'm grabbing the hot pad, a good book and claiming the couch as my own till supper time!

No comments:

Post a Comment