Monday, March 19, 2012

Snow again

 A big winter storm was forecast for this weekend and into Monday. Yesterday we had winds but no snow but when we woke up this morning, it was all white and pretty. It is supposed to snow shower off and on all day but the snow is already melting.
 Last Thursday I went to Show Low to get a few groceries. Stopped by Lowes to get more cedar fencing so Pa could make more gardening boxes. I have 7 of them now and have room for 5  more. Pa and I fenced in another 8 feet of gardening space where I will plant potatoes and some other stuff, maybe asparagus.
 Friday was such a beautiful day, Pa and I went off to explore the ridge to the south side across from our property. There are so many pottery shards on the ground. There is a wash on the south side of the ridge which in earlier times must have held water on a more permanent basis because the entire ridge looks like it could have housed a village.
 We haven't found any foundations of houses, just lots and lots of pottery shards and what looks like might have been fire pits.
 We think someone else might have been out exploring and piled up these shards . We found 4 or 5 piles like this. And found some Jeep tracks near by.
 Shards every where!
 See the round one? We heard these were game pieces. I have two of them now. Some of the paint on the shards looks like they were just painted on yesterday. I can't figure out how they could paint such straight lines time after time. Shoot! I can't draw a straight line at all!
 There are red pottery shards as well as ones that look like they have been grooved with a finger nail or maybe a twig. Some grey, some tan.
It just amazes me that I can touch something that someone made hundreds of years ago. I wonder why they would just break their pots instead of taking them with them. Someone told me when an Indian woman died, they would break their pots so her spirit could leave. People out here have found a few whole pots and necklaces and such. Wish I could! And then of course over the years, I'm sure the roaming cattle have broken their share.
  Pa made a chocolate pie the other day and I made cookies yesterday. Since today isn't a good day to play outside, I will probably play in my craft room. Earlier this week, I planted a bunch of seeds in peat pots and have them sitting in the window of the guest bedroom. The pumpkins and zucs have already sprouted. Where are my tomatoes? I planted 6 different kinds and can taste them already.
  Not much else to report so toodles for now!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Linda, Hop on over to my blog...I have something for you...I got my stuff from craftvinyl.com today...you should be getting urs soon...hugs Katie

    ReplyDelete