Sunday, November 20, 2011

A week of wildlife

 It's been quite a week for wild life. We had this Scrub Blue Jay visiting, helping himself/herself to the bird bath and some bread I threw out for the birds. There are two of them hanging around, actually. This is the first we have seen Blue Jays. Once in a while we got a quick peek at Mountain Blue Birds but they tend to hang out a couple miles away on one of the main roads at the ranch.
 Sorry for the lousy picture, I was using my telephoto lens and taking the picture thru the window...and you know how clean I keep my windows!
 Then we had a flock of these cuties. I will have to look them up to see what exactly they are, Chickadees? Once again, thru a window.
 Then there was this interesting fella.
 Yep, a tarantula! Seems late for them to be wandering around since we have had freezing temps over night.
I tried to get him to walk up on my gloved hand but all he did was raise his front legs and his hairy butt in the air. Did you know that they can throw those hairs at you?
One late afternoon as we sat at the kitchen table, I saw a coyote in our back yard. Of course I didn't have my camera handy. He was looking for a rabbit. He didn't find it and left and shortly after, the bunny came hopping out, lucky to live another day. One morning we saw a rabbit in the garden. I left the gate open since there was nothing in there. So I snuck out and locked him in and then let the dogs in to chase it. Once they cornered it, all they did was lick it. I left it out there alive but when I checked on it later, it had died, probably of fright. Never one to waste anything, I took it over to Tom's to see if he would let his dog Max have it to play with. It was so funny...Max carried that thing around for awhile, then settled down, started at the nose and proceeded to eat it.
Let's see, oh, we borrowed Tom's rototiller and left the ramps on the truck over night and in the morning, Pa said a rabbit had gone up the ramp into the back of the truck. Rabbits are every where this winter. Drives the dogs nuts. Harley was running from window to window barking his head off following the rabbits. I dug up my shallots, garlic and onions while Pa was rototilling, planning on replanting them when he was done. The rabbits came up on the porch and ate the tops off all the onions, garlic and shallots. Bet they won't be kissing anyone with onion breath. I replanted the bulbs, don't know if they will survive the winter but they weren't big enough to do anything with anyway. Pa and I went to our favorite pile of horse poo and got a truck load to work into the garden so it can sit and stew all winter. We've been putting the ashes from the wood stove in there also.
Yesterday, I picked up my friend Katie in Holbrook and we went to the Stampin Up class. We made two Santa boxes, two calendars, and four greeting cards. I'll post those pictures later. Even tho it is pretty far away, it's good to get off the ranch for a day and be around other women who have similar interests. It's a pretty good deal for $10.00.
Due to Provo Craft being butt heads, not allowing third party software to be used with their Cricut cutting machine, those of us who own one are in the process of replacing our machines with some other brand that not only allows third party software but encourages it. Katie just got a Silhouette Cameo. Boy oh boy, is it nice! It can cut more intricate cuts and you can print out a picture and the Cameo will cut around the image perfectly. As far as we can tell, it can't cut chip board but it has a little window where you can click on the type of cardstock you are using and it tells you where to adjust your cutting depth. I was thinking of getting a Black Cat Lynx but they are very expensive and all the parts you need like cutting blades and cutting mats are VERY expensive so now I am leaning toward a Cameo. I wrote to Provo Craft and told them I will no longer support/buy their products . I got a form letter in reply so to heck with them!!!! They sued the two companies who made third party software so they no longer can use their product for the Cricut. Luckily, as long as I don't upgrade my Cricut, I can use the old software. Gosh, I use the thing almost every day and would really miss not being able to make my own cutting files. I have a few Cricut cartridges to use with my machine but they are so limiting, who wouldn't want to make their own files? Lots cheaper also.
Hard to believe Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Where has this year gone? We've been here a year already, can you believe it? This time last year (within a day or two) we were living in the motor home. Now we are happily ensconced in our new home, snug as a bug in a rug.
I forgot to mention that Tilly caught a mouse in the house the other day. Who needs a cat? Tilly is a great hunter. She even goes after birds and caught a dove a few months ago. I wasn't aware Miniature Schnauzers were bird dogs, but there ya go.
One of Pa's friends from Vegas will be here the day after Thanksgiving. He won't be staying with us but will be in Alpine, elk hunting. Pa might stomp around the woods with him one day and his friend will stop by to see our place. Hopefully with an elk haunch for our freezer.
Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and remember to thank the Lord for all his blessings this past year. I'm so thankful that He got our house sold so we could move to the ranch, I'm thankful for the new friends I've made since being here and for the love of my family. THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! You've been busy ! Sounds like a lot of fun though. How much rain have you guys got lately ?

    Tell Steve I said "Hello" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... BTW... It's Pam's Robert. I finally found a way to post on your blog ! * smile *

    ReplyDelete