Sunday, September 18, 2011

Where Have all The Hummers Gone?

Much as I hated to, I took the hummingbird feeders down on Wednesday. Otherwise they had no interest in migrating to warmer climes. Honestly, they took off like a shot out of a cannon and didn't even bother to wave goodby. Or to say thanks for the many pounds of sugar I bought for them. Think of how much money I'll save on sugar alone!!!! I sure do miss them tho. Gone are the hours of entertainment right outside the window. I'll have to take up knitting or something.
With the nights getting cooler, the garden has really slowed down. I'm letting the green beans go to seed so I'll have some to plant next year. The majority of the garden was from heirloom seeds so I could harvest seeds for the next year. The way our government is going, harvesting our own seeds are the way to go. The way the farm,safe food bill is worded, the government can interpret a garden as a farm and put all sorts of controls on what we plant and what we eat. I SAY LESS GOVERNMENT IN OUR LIVES!!! On some web sites, heirloom seeds are hard to come by and some sites will only let  you buy in packages, making you buy things you wouldn't normally plant. One of our local stores was advertising metal shelves for sale and twice they didn't have them in stock so I wrote an email  to their headquarters and complained. I had planned to use the shelf to start next years garden in the spare bedroom come spring time and since it was on sale, may as well get the shelf now, right?  Anyway, a couple of days later, I got an email in response and they offered to send me the shelf for free. I was dumfounded! What great customer service. So we shall see if they deliver. It pays to be the squeaky wheel from time to time.
Yesterday, Pa and I went to the Navajo County Fair in Holbrook. It's a bit larger than the one in Apache County where we live. My friend Katie had some crafts entered and she won ribbons for every single piece she entered!!! I was really proud of her. We looked at all the pigs, (stinky!) and the goats and sheep, rabbits and chickens. Since we have so many cows running around the ranch, I didn't want to look at the cattle. They stink as much as the pigs do. No one had horses entered, I wonder why? Of course I had to nosh on a Navajo Taco. They are so yummy and soooo fattening. Both Pa and I were to full to have a Funnel Cake. As we walked by that booth, the smell of the grease just about made me sick. Pa thought it smelled wonderful.
Sometime this week, we got 1 1/4 inch of rain. Then another day we got some rain and hail. Fortunately the hail didn't harm the garden. We got the beautiful rainbow (double if you look closely) posted at the begining of all this blabbering.
OH, gotta run. Pa needs help with something.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, thanks so much for making the effort in seeing me at the fair yesterday!! I know when you first got there I was SWAPMT with little gilrs(some boys) doing a make a take from the Stamp'n rep...then you made sure to come back by when I was not a buzy...Oh, and thanks for the complemtent, like I told you before, I don't think my work is that great!!! but the judges and others did, so the gal that is over the Open Class, she recommended that I send a few of my items to the STATE FAIR!!! OMG ... so I am looking into that next...well the fair board has someone come to the Navajo County fair grounds to pick up and drop off a few weeks later!! So I think the note pad and the Halloween decor just might get a trip to the Arizona State Fair...I will keep you posted...ttfn....Katie

    ReplyDelete