Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm so domesticated!

 Those of you who know me well, know how much I hate to cook. See these cookies? I made them from scratch! Two batches of them, no less. I had promised one of the guys who hooked up our propane so many months ago that I would bake him some cookies. Months went by and went by. So I was feeling guilty and decided to make him a carrot bundt cake. Both Pa and I thought it tasted awful. Thankfully Tom thought it was delicious and thought our taste buds were off. Poor Kenny at the propane company was left out so I made some Chewy Oatmeal cookies from a recipe my dear friend, Becky, in Illinois gave me 40 years ago. I think I made two batches of them. Pa likes to have cookies with his morning coffee so I saved some for him and took a big bag to Show Low and left them at the propane office for Kenny. The cookies are so delicious that these will be my go to recipe. I put cranberries in half the batch.
 Here are the cookies for Pa's morning coffee.
 To carry on with my new domestic personality, I made these dill pickles this week using my kid's great grandmother's recipe. There is a grape leaf on the top and bottom of every jar. I have no idea why but I love these pickles and since it is a tried and true recipe, I stuck with it. Does anyone out there know why grape leaves would be added to pickles? For flavor? To keep them crisp?
 Aren't these beautiful?
Our Oklahoma watermelons are getting so big. That is a gallon bleach bottle next to them so you can get some idea of the size.
 These are the sunflowers I dug up beside the road to town and transplanted. Out of four, three are still alive.
 One of our huge heirloom tomatoes.
 Here are some Early Girls. I thought they were so named because they came on early but I read that they are called Early because they will produce in cooler weather. Who knew?
 My mystery plants which I later discovered were from the basket of petunias who went to seed.
 Nothing like a bright spot of color to make your day special. Thank you Petunias for making babies!
 Here is a close up of the Oklahoma watermelon. We sure hope they ripen before winter arrives.
Hello baby Petunia! I'm just amazed at this because I didn't realize they would reseed themselves. I went for a stroll around the property yesterday and found a single plant with delicate purple and white flowers on it. I looked everywhere and didn't find another one so stripped off some flowers, came home and picked the dried seeds off of them and planted some in the house and some outside. I used to have a very green thumb but it dried up and turned brown in Vegas. Now it's back!
Pa has the huge generator running in it's new shed. Good thing since his other generator died. He will have to take it into Show Low to get it fixed. Something always needs attention when you are living off the grid.
The weather is absolutely breathtaking. Since the weather has turned cooler, my allergies are starting up. I didn't have a problem all summer, even with the junipers blooming. Even Pa is having issues. We can't figure out what is going on to cause allergies. But that's ok. We both love it out here and a few sniffles are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment