Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nature's Bounty

 All the following pictures are from our garden. The carrots are a little stubby but they sure do taste good!
 I dug up a couple of potatoes to see what they looked like. After scrubbing them, they still tasted like dirt and the skins were bitter. After cooking them, they tasted fine. I think the next batch will be dug up and left to cure in the garden for a couple of days.
 Our first cantelope! It was so yummy. The largest watermelon wasn't quite ripe. The smaller one was tho and was quite delicious.  The three above pictures were picked at the beginning of the week.
 One of our neighbors made this lovely afghan as a housewarming present. It goes perfectly with my new sofa. That was so sweet of her. 
 The following pictures of produce were picked this morning. I am so proud of my lettuce. It has produced time after time. It is a romaine type but I just plucked the leaves off and it kept growing.
 Another great producer is Nobel Spinach. I'm planting twice as much next year and will can some. That is if I can keep myself from eating it. Pa doesn't like spinach unless I hide it in salad. I love it.
 My first lima beans! Pa doesn't like lima's all that much but I will still plant them next year, twice as much.
 The last of the corn. I pulled up all the corn plants. It's not worth all the work and water that goes into it. Every ear had cornworms, some just loaded with them. I'm not sure how to combat cornworms. When I grew corn in Illinois, I very seldom saw a cornworm. Any suggestions besides having a biplane fly over and dumping spray over every one and every thing?
 I grew Golden Bell and Green Bell peppers. We never wait long enough for the golden ones to turn golden. They are producing much better than the green ones. Cukes, not enough to do anything with. Next year, 10 times more!!!!
We've been having rain off and on. The weather is so beautiful, cool at night, not to hot during the day. One morning, I had to wear a sweater and socks, of all things. I rarely wear shoes so if I have to wear socks, you know it is chilly. Last night after we went to bed, Pa said we had a very loud thunderstorm. It was so loud, the dogs got scared. Maggie, was running around the bed whining for someone to put her up on the bed. Guess what? I slept thru the entire thing and didn't hear a single thunder boom. Pa is always amazed at how soundly I sleep. It's like I'm dead or deaf when I'm sleeping.
This might be the last of the green beans. I think I will let them go to seed for next year. I'm growing an entire 6 x 6 ft box of them next year. Honestly, I have so many plans for the garden next year besides making it bigger. One of them is to keep better notes of what is planted/replanted where. I planted winter squash, crooked neck squash and where the heck are they?  Blown away in the spring winds , I guess. Mother Earth News has this program that you buy and you can map out your garden and do all sorts of wonderful things with it.
Ok, that's it for now. On Sept. 15th, I'm taking down the hummingbird feeders so they will migrate. I'll sure miss them but just think of how much money I'll save on sugar!!!

1 comment:

  1. SO COOL, you guys rock with this garden stuff...I know where to go when the goverment steps in...lol
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete