Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

No pictures today! We are going to Springerville to the rodeo. It starts at 1 pm. Our monsoon season has started but we have only had a couple drops of rain. Not enough to get the ground wet. My corn has finally started to grow taller since fencing the bunnies out. One of the little brats, chewed off my one and only pea pod last night. It wouldn't be so bad if they would eat it. They just chew it off and leave it there. So now I will have to put up a fence around my meager pea rows. I think I killed some off when I fertilized them. My daughter in law told Pa that she puts all her produce scraps in a blender, blends them up and puts that in her garden. Since Pa hasn't gotten around to building a compost bin, that is what I am going to do. I had two bunches of broccoli that had gone bad (no more buying broccoli in our local market. It doesn't keep at all) so I blended them up with some other produce scraps and dumped them in a gallon of water. Later, I thought something had died in the kitchen and realized it was the broccoli mixture so I had to put it outside. I figured the smell alone would keep varmits out of my garden.
Pa had two doctor appointments in Vegas this past week and was gone for three days. He got good reports from his eye doctor and the VA doctor. He did his usual shopping at the Mexican grocery store and brought home tomatoes at 3 pounds for 99cents ( $1.99 on sale here) onions same price ($1.00 a pound here). I was talking to the produce lady at our local IGA and she said they pay thru the nose on shipping and have to pass it on to consumers. Walmart buys in bulk so I don't see why the Walmart in Show Low is just as high as the Safeway. Any hoo, we are stocked up on chicken breasts from Liberio and hamburger from Costco, so we are good to go for awhile. Have you tried Morning Star Grillers? They are delicious. (vegetarian). Much better than Boca Burgers. I have $1.00 off coupons and will get some at Safeway when we are in Springerville today. Maybe I can get back on my diet.
That's the update for now. Not very exciting, huh? My kitty is still here. I worry about her being out all night so I let her sleep in the motor home last night. Don't tell Pa!

No comments:

Post a Comment