Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Humming at the ranch

 We have all sorts of hummingbirds at the ranch. Ruby throated and about 6 others.
 But this little sweet thing is a Rofous Hummingbird and we have never seen one like it. One web site I read said they were in Oregon, Washington and Northern California.
 He is an iridescent cinnamon brown with a brilliant orange throat. 
 I read another web site today that said they were
"Observed in every state and province except Hawaii, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec. There was even one very unusual report from extreme eastern Siberia! The Rufous is the most widely-distributed hummingbird in North America. Winters in Mexico and possibly Panama."
 I don't care what they say, we have never seen one and think this guy is really special. His coloring is so beautiful.
 I took a bunch of pictures yesterday only to discover I forgot to put the disc in my camera!!!! Hmmmm, reminds me of the time I took pictures of the eclipse of the moon. No film in the camera for the first half so I just got the second half of the eclipse. I figured I could just turn the pictures around and see the first and second halves!
 This did make me get out my telephoto lens which I haven't used in ages.  I'm surprised the picts turned out as good as they did because the window was dirty and it was sprinkling.
 I ran to town today to get the mail before the roads got too wet. I don't have four wheeled drive so some of the roads get slippery as snot. People have either slid off the road or got bogged down and it costs $300 to get a tow truck out here.
 I just had to share this sweet little fella with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment