Saturday, July 9, 2011

Gardening Arizona Style

 Pa brought me a Mexican Bird of Paradise when he went to Vegas. I just love those things. This one will be red and yellow if the bunnies don't get it. You have to put some sort of cage around your plants out here in the sticks.
 After blocking the bun buns out of the corn, they went after my watermelon. I put a cage around it and the melons were growing thru the cage so I had to enlarge it. The metal fencing is shelves out of a fridge.
 This is some sort of squash. Maybe cukes. I have replanted so many things I don't know what is what. I think these will grow out of their cages soon.
 Rhubarb, caged with a sun screen around it. Gosh, looking at my garden, I feel like some sort of red neck hill billy. Not that there is anything wrong with red necks or hillbillies!
 There is a tomato plant in there protected from varmits and the sun. Pure corn pone!
 How about this one? There are some squash in there.
 More cages and more squash
 The okra is doing much better since we blocked the rabbits out.
 fenced in corn using chicken wire. We need to get more
 Would you believe that the darn rabbits chewed a  hole in the plastic fencing and got in and ate my peas again? I am giving up on peas for this year.
 Here are our grapes surrounded by 2 inch chicken wire. Unfortunately the baby bunnies can go right thru that so we had to cage each plant with hardware cloth. Then one bunny found he could use the hardware cloth to stand up and eat the top leaves so we had to put another cage around the first cage!
 The blackberries are doing great. Pa put up a trellis for them to grow on but in my opinion, he put the trellis too close to the fence so I think they will eventually grow on both the fence and the trellis.
 Here is our kitty. Isn't she pretty? I hate to have her live outside but Pa hates cats. She caught a mouse the other day but didn't eat it. She left it in the driveway as a warning to other varmints not to come around.
 I brought her inside to meet Tilly.
 I will introduce her to one dog at a time.
 Tilly is very confused. She started "talking", repeating the same thing over and over so I know she was saying the exact same thing. Wish I knew dog talk. The cat doesn't see her as a threat.
 "Ok, let me study this new creature"
"Hmmmm, as long as she doesn't make any sudden moves, she will be ok."
In other news this week...... It was Daisy Mae's birthday and with all the stuff going on in her life I thought she needed a girls day out. I picked her up at 6 in the morning and took her to Flagstaff for a day of shopping. I had my list of places I wanted to check out and she had her list. We checked out Savers Thrift Store and I couldn't find a single thing I wanted. Then we went to the Goodwill that sells by the pound. Daisy Mae didn't even want to touch anything! We couldn't find the other Goodwill so we went on to Michaels and Joann's craft stores where I had such a great time. Then to Target and Kohls. I treated her to lunch at Chili's and by then we were so exhausted we headed for home. Did I mention that it is almost 3 hours each way? By the time we got back to the ranch, we were plumb tuckered out. Pa was a sweetheart and had fed her horses while we were gone so all she had to do was give her garden a little water and then relax. Pa fixed his own dinner and I was so full from lunch, I had some popcorn for my dinner.
Our monsoon season has started so it clouds up every afternoon and either sprinkles or sprinkles hard. We will probably get some hard rain before it is all over. We need to get some flashing on payday and fix the gutters so the rain goes into them and not between them and the roof! There is always something to do around here. We are also going to get some one inch chicken wire and put it all around the garden to rabbit proof it. Our friend Tom is having a real rabbit problem this year. They plowed thru his 5 plots of corn and ate it all and he does have chicken wire around his garden. He can't figure out how they are getting in since he has about 6 inches of wire on the ground before it goes up the regular fence. I guess rabbits can climb two feet and jump the fence. Crafty little devils! Eventually we will out smart them.......I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment