Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Morning Surprise

    Pa Kettle left Monday to take another load to the ranch. All those manly things like a steel work table and big steel shelves and some chain link fence we found thru Craigs List. He was supposed to return this afternoon. At 5:30 this morning, the dogs went crazy and lined up at the garage door, tails awaggin'. In walks Pa. Turns out he couldn't sleep so drove thru the night. Well it scared me half to death and all I can say is it's a good thing he didn't open the door to find a shot gun pointed at his belly. I guess it is also a good thing that I don't have a secret boyfriend....that could have been awkward! Anyway, he is all tucked in catching up on his sleep.
    I spent yesterday running errands with a quick trip to Michael's Craft Store to see what I could find to use my coupon on. Couldn't find a darned thing so gave 4 coupons to various customers. I like to consider it a random act of kindness when I pass coupons out. I also hung out behind liquor stores trying to find more boxes to pack our stuff in. Is it just me or is that creepy? You never know who or what you will find lurking in dumpsters. Pa's niece in Oklahoma finds wonderful things and fixes them up and sells them. All I ever find is rotting produce and lots of flies.
  Speaking of our stuff, we have two 40 foot ocean containers, a 20 foot ocean container and a 48 foot semi trailer at the ranch, full of our stuff. We still have everything left in our house to pack. How much "stuff" do we need? I mentioned to Pa that just about everything in those containers will not go in the house which in my mind means all that stuff is his! We packed the 48 ft semi trailer five years ago when we first tried to sell our house.  All those shows on HGTV stressed that a house would sell faster if the walls were empty and the house was reduced to just the essentials.( they lied!) Well of course with all that stuff packed away, we had to buy new stuff as the years wore on because our old stuff was sitting at the ranch. We did go thru the trailer finally and started bringing back different things. Back on the walls went our pictures, I found 5 or 6 boxes of craft goodies (how on earth did I live without those for 5 years?) and little by little "stuff" made it back to Vegas. Over the course of five years, Pa has been going to garage sales, stocking up on manly things he will need at the ranch. When you live so far from town, you can't drop everything to run to Ace Hardware just to buy a certain bolt. Our Ace Hardware is the size of a postage stamp so they probably wouldn't have it anyway. May I just say here that we have every nut and bolt, every size nail, two of most tools and enough rakes and hoes to outfit an army? I'm thinking we are well prepared. Pa doesn't think so. It's a man thing.
  If I can do it quietly, I need to start packing. I don't want to wake Pa.

No comments:

Post a Comment