Friday, June 15, 2012

Desperate Measures

 Pa and his best friend taking an afternoon nap. No this isn't a desperate measure.....unless you're tired.
 I made this birthday card for our grandson, Parker. I thought it turned out pretty darned cute!
 One of our snakes was out wandering around. He is over 5 feet long.
 I'd like for him to take up residence in our garden to take care of what ever is eating everything in there.
 So, here are my desperate measures. Anything green, including these potatoes are being eaten at lightening speed. I have no more carrots, lima beans, lettuce, radishes and the spinach is being munched on more every night. I came up with this idea. I got some hog wire and made cages to go around each potato hill. I used compactor garbage bags (they are extra sturdy) to go around each cage and then cut out the top and folded the edges in. I used bamboo BBQ skewers to hold the bags in place and tent poles to hold the cages in place.
 Here you see my cantelopes, squash and asparagus being covered with milk cartons. The cantelopes and squash will outgrow their containers and then I'll have to go to plan "XYZ" I've used up all the other plans!
 Something completely devoured the sweet potato vines so they are now covered with shade cloth and some old fridge shelves. I had to replant some.
 The broccoli outgrew their milk cartons so they are surrounded by plastic bags.
 Here are our tomatoes. Yep, good old compactor garbage bags! I planted some extra tomatoes in one of the planter boxes and something knocked over the milk cartons and ate those.
 Here are the Desert Spiderworts all secure in their little cages. If I removed one cage, the plant would be gone over night.
 I had to buy new grape vines since ours froze. There it sits, in it's own little prison.
All my flowers have cages around them. Something got into the planters and ate the petunias down to the bone. Pa had to put up a makeshift table for the other flowers Mice can still climb up the legs tho. Each of my green bean plants have milk cartons over them. Of course eventually they will out grow them. My next plan is to get some hardware cloth and staple it to the planter boxes so it sticks up a couple of feet and then tie some shade cloth over it. That way, the plants will have room to grow. But that will have to wait till next week because on Sunday, I am heading for Vegas so I can attend my grand daughter's graduation. And hit the thrift stores. And hit the craft stores. And get my mammogram. Did I mention thrift stores? I'd like to get some things to alter and some capri pants. I just redid my t-shirt drawer and got it organized. I definitely don't need any more t-shirts. I'm going to visit ARC paper store since they are open to the public again. My buddy Katie has an order in for red cardstock which I need also. They are having a mega sale right now. I need various shades of grey, red, green, black, blue............. Oh Lordy, I'll need to take out a loan!!!!! Anybody got a dime?

No comments:

Post a Comment