Friday, January 20, 2012

Onions

Yesterday, Pa tilled the garden again and I planted onions, about 50 of them. Half red and half yellow. It seems kind of early but it was 68 degrees yesterday. A regular heat wave! I put a sheet of plastic over them to keep them from getting frost bit. I can't believe the great weather we've been having. Even if it snows a foot, being this late in the winter season, we know it won't last but a day. I can hardly wait to really get started on the garden. I have my 100 jiffy pots, my shelves to put in the guest bedroom to put my starter plants on, my seeds, fertilizer and I am ready!

 We've had a variety of birds visit our bird bath and to munch on the bird feed we put out. Altho we have seen Mountain Bluebirds at the ranch, they've never visited our property before. Until now! They are so pretty and sooooo blue!
 Various finches. They have red on their breasts.
 The female Mountain bluebirds are not blue but brown. So are the immature ones.
 I was really excited to have these visitors. They are bug eaters, not seed eaters so they only come to drink.
Here is one of the two Scrub Blue Jays that come to eat. They are such pigs! They stuff themselves with seeds. I'm thinking they take them back to where ever they are living and store them there and then come back for more. They make the phrase "eat like a bird" have a totally different meaning because boy can they eat! They can make a slice of bread disappear in two seconds flat.

I forgot to show you what Pa got me for Christmas. It is a Silhouette Cameo digital cutter. It can do so much more than my old Cricut cutting machine. It can do a feature called Print and Cut where I can print out a graphic and the machine will cut it out perfectly around the edges. It sends the picture to you printer and includes registration marks that the Cameo can read so when you put it in the cutter, it reads those marks so it can find the image to cut. It is so cool! I'm going to keep the Cricut and use them both. The Cameo hooks up to your computer so you can get images to cut right from there. I'm so blessed to have my own craft room. I have a place to hide while Pa watches O'Riley and Hannity every single blasted night! I AM SO SICK OF POLITICS! and we only have 11 months to go!

We have decided to sell the water truck. Now that the water tank is full and we go to town often enough to keep it filled using our 250 gallon water tank, we can't see paying insurance on it just so it can sit there. And whether you use it or now, you still have to have it insured. Hopefully it will sell soon.
That's about it for now. I think I'll go out to the garden and see if my onions have grown since yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment