Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tomatos everywhere!

 Sorry I've been MIA. I've had writers block or something. You can tell from the above picture, I'm not known for neatness or organization. It is almost impossible for me to keep counter tops clean. I am going to peel and freeze more tomatoes today while Pa is in Show Low getting his middle sized generator fixed.
 This is my bumper crop of sweet potatoes. Really not too bad for just rooting a store bought yam/sweet potato and breaking off the roots and planting them half way thru our growing season.
 Honestly, I have tomatoes everywhere in various stages of ripening.
 I didn't even take pictures of the ones in the motor home.
 I'm getting tired of tomatoes all over the kitchen.
 Pa asked me if I wanted a recipe to pickle green tomatoes. I don't like green tomatoes. It all goes back to my child hood when my mom made fried green tomatoes which reminded me of fried egg plant which I threw up right in my plate at the dinner table. Something about a gag response.
 Pa and I went exploring on a ridge by our house and came up with these goodies. Don't know what this is but I am fascinated that these objects were handled by someone 500 to 1000 years ago. The designs are so precise.
 I can't draw a straight line and yet these ancient people painted such beautiful designs with out a ruler or even a modern day paint brush. I don't know what they used for paint but it is still vibrant and beautiful.
I looked out the bedroom window this morning and saw this jet trail. My first thought was a plane had gone down but 20 minutes later it was still there and joined by other trails crisscrossing the sky. It was really beautiful.
Last week we met a lovely couple, Pam and Bob who own property at Sierra Highlands which is the big ranch next to Woodland Valley Ranch. We've been emailing each other and finally got to meet. We really liked them and are hoping they can sell their house and move out here soon. With neighbors far and few between, you need all the friends you can get and it is always nice to meet someone and connect with them. There are about 30 properties out here that have people living on them full time but we've only met four or so of them. Woodland Valley is so huge, we have no idea where the other people live. A lot of people move  here to be left alone so we may never meet them. It really takes a special type person to live out here. We all march to a different drummer and I'm sure some would find each person a bit peculiar. (Not me though! I'm as normal as can be!) You definitely have to like your own company since you may not see someone for a couple of weeks at a time, you can't be afraid to be alone, you can't be afraid of the quiet or the dark and you can't be afraid to use a gun if necessary. Oh, you can't be afraid of a little (lot) of sand and dirt since it is everywhere. I've had to give up on the idea of clean baseboards in the house unless I want to vacuum them a couple of times a day or more and dust is always on flat surfaces.
Miss Kitty has been missing for a couple of weeks now so I guess she's not coming back unless it is in the form of coyote poo. I'm hoping she wandered off to find a new home, the closest being the hated rancher. Even that would make me happy if she was treated well. I'm not sure we will get another cat next spring because since she has been gone, the dogs don't bark as much as they did when she was here. I enjoy the quiet. I very seldom have the radio on for background noise and never have the TV droning on to keep me company. Just peace and quiet, that's the life for me!

1 comment:

  1. Linda, you are always full of such great stories and such kind words...your stories just get me chuckling so hard and the family thinks I am just crazy ( so maybe I am) but keep us all up to date as to the wonderful would of quiet...lol...I have some tomatos for you when you come for stamp'n up...lol (NOT).. Katie

    ReplyDelete