Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hunkering down for the winter

Sunday and Monday of this week was sunny and clear and warm. Clouds and wind came in on Tuesday with some sprinkles. It has been raining off and on ever since. Pa has had to run the big generator every morning for an hour or so to charge up our battery bank. Now he is making me turn off my computer and printer every night. I almost didn't remember my pass word when I turned it back on!!!! I know it is good for the computer to reboot but I seldom do it.
With the weather being what it is, Pa has been reorganizing the semi trailer looking for various things. A good project for rainy, windy weather. He did find a box of books I've been pining for that we packed up 6 years ago. It's like Christmas morning when we find something we forgot we had. Since we replaced various things over the past 6 years, we should take our duplicates to the thrift store. Pa has a hard time letting go of things but he said he had a "few" things he could donate.
I've spent the past three days in my craft room working on a Christmas project for my grand daughter. I've run out of ink in my printer and don't want to go clear to Show Low to get a replacement cartridge. I need to get a printer where I can refill the cartridges myself. I used to do that when my Canon printer was working. Every year, I had to replace the print head which runs $80.00 but refilling the cartridges was cheap. I still have the Canon and am rethinking buying a new print head. What to do.......what to do!  HP has fixed their cartridges so it is next to impossible to refill them. I have had some success with the black one but the color one? Forget it! and that is the one I need to replace.
Remember the Desert Spiderwort plants I dug up and replanted in front of the house? The rabbits left them alone all summer but now have eaten them down to the ground. Guess they need to fatten themselves up for the winter. Around here you need to fence everything in with at least 2 feet high of fencing to keep the varmits out. But who wants fencing everywhere? I have milk crates protecting my lilac bushes from hungry teeth. In spite of their appetite, I still love watching the bunnies frolic in the yard. One of our resident snakes was outside yesterday morning. There was a few minutes of sun he wanted to take advantage of. I took some pictures and will post them next time. Until then!........

No comments:

Post a Comment