Thursday, June 16, 2011

One Positive Thing about forest fire smoke

 It makes a beautiful sunset.

 There are some clouds mixed in there also.
 These pictures were from last week.
 You can't tell from this picture but the sun was blood red one morning.

 At the beginning of last week, this is what the smoke looked like from our back yard. It's about 50- 60 miles away. I took pictures from all directions from our back yard.
 around in a semi circle I go!
 That's a lot of smoke!
 It was drifting to I 40 near Gallup, New Mexico
 What is Pa doing on the roof?
 Something ate the leaves off my grape vine so I grabbed a mesh bag that was holding oranges and tied it around the grape vine. That will teach the little suckers! Our friend Tom had a few plants destroyed in his garden due to a rabbit digging under his fence and sampling a few tidbits. Then the next night, something ate a whole row of tomato plants in my garden. Aren't tomato leaves poison? Hope the little bastard died a miserable death. Luckily I had more started in the house so I planted them last night and put some protection around them. I think birds are doing the damage in my garden. Out of 50 strawberry plants, I now have 10 left alive. I dug them up and transplanted them into one of my raised beds. The scallop squash died and I replanted some seeds and they are coming up. I've planted cauliflower three times to  no avail so I am giving up on that. Out of 6 cabbage, only two are alive. Pa's Aunt Jo sent him some Black Diamond watermelon seeds from Oklahoma. They have a 90 day maturation so he planted a bed of them yesterday in the back yard. I think we might get one or two of them before frost.
  Oh my goodness! I bought two cantaloupe from Safeway the other day. Regular price $5.97 each , on sale for $3.00 each. They are called Tuscan cantaloupe and they are the best we have ever eaten. I saved some seeds and will plant them next year. Can you believe that price? I paid $1.88 for a head of Romaine lettuce at Walmart. Green peppers were $1.29 each at Safeway. The prices here are unbelievable. What's worse, we have to drive 120 miles round trip to get those "good" prices. Prices at the little IGA in Saint Johns are higher and the produce is terrible.
 This is what Pa was doing on the roof. A friend of his gave this weather vane to him a few years ago and we finally have a place to put it.
We will be the envy of the neighborhood. Of course since we have no neighbors, not too many people will see it. On Saturday, the annual meeting for our property owner's association will be held. I'm not going since I will get boiling mad. Pa is tho. The new officers were handpicked to run which isn't fair. But nothing about our POA is fair. Unfortunately, altho there are laws about HOA-POA in Arizona, there is no one to enforce those laws. The Attorney General's office told me to vote them out if we don't like the way things are run. But with one of the officers controlling most of the votes, that's impossible. We spoke to an attorney about this but it would take lots of money to sue and get things straightened out. Some of the full time residents were interested in a lawsuit, but no one wanted to help with the financial side of it.
That about catches up with what is new in our little spot of heaven. We haven't had any smoke for a few days because the fire is going in the other direction so if you want to visit, now is a good time. The fire is about 20% contained now and the residents of Eagar and Springerville were allowed to return to their towns. I really admire those firefighters, putting their lives on the line to try to save everyone's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment