Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bountiful Baskets part 2

Not much going on at the ranch right now. The spring winds have arrived and so have my allergies. I don't seem to be allergic to the plants and trees but am pretty sure it is the dust I am allergic to. Oh well, no use crying altho it might make my eyes feel better. I did laundry yesterday and hung it on the line. When it was dry, the wind was blowing and by the time I got the clothes off the line, my eyes felt awful! We had our neighbors Don and Nancy over for dinner and all evening, I was scratching and digging at my eyes as the left one overflowed with tears. I've been using Flonase which does wonders on runny noses. This morning I took an allergy pill, used Flonase and put allergy eye drops in my eyes. Nancy and I went to Springerville/Eagar to pick up our food baskets and I was still dabbing at my eye.

Really, people, you need to check out BountifulBaskets.org.  This time I ordered the juice pack, hostess pack , the regular pack and 5 loaves of 9 grain bread for $49.50. All the produce is top of the line and so fresh, it could reach up and slap you in the face. We got butter lettuce,2 celery, rosemary, ginger, basil, bananas, pineapple, oranges, tangerines, apples, avacados, grapefruit, zuchinni, carrot, asparagus, avacados,  a burpless cuke, bag of red potatoes, parsley, spinach, brocolli, a beet, onions ,lemons, limes , radishes, and a mini watermelon. There's probably a few things I forgot. Nancy was pretty impressed and said next time, she will order a couple other packs. Much better quality than you can get at the store. It is nation wide so I'm sure you can find a delivery place near you. Today, I volunteered to fill baskets so got an extra pineapple as a thank you. Check it out!!!!

My bookshelves arrived from Target. I was leery of what the quality would be but they are very nice!
They are 30 inches wide and 6 feet tall. I usually like things in a wood finish but thought white would look cleaner (until the dust settles on them) . I love them! They are sturdy and have no problem holding tons of card stock. Pa and I put the first one together. It came with step by step instructions and each step had a certain number of hardware pieces to go with it and were in their own little packets. Can we just say, Pa referred to the instructions once or twice and put it together the way he thought it should go. Packets be damned! Fortunately, everything went together just fine.
 These pictures are out of order but here is the almost finished piece.
 various shelves
 Coming out of the box. Notice the open front door? It was such a lovely day with the temps close to 70.

Two bookcases in my craft room! I am sorting as I go and have all my 12x12 card stock on the shelves. Now onto the  8 1/2 x 11 and I should have room for other things as well. I still have some birthday money left and went to order another one and they aren't on sale anymore!!!!! With free shipping!!!!!! So I'll have to keep an eye on Target so I can find it on sale again. Did I mention I put the second bookcase all together by myself? And I did follow the instructions, step by step and opened each hardware packet as it was called for. I'm such a rule follower! Pa makes his own rules. Makes for an interesting relationship.....

Due to a fantastic deal Pa got on a roto tiller, the garden is all tilled and ready to go. I arranged my boxes, I really need more, and planted some seeds in the house, cabbage, brocolli, tomatoes and some lettuce. Next week, I'll start the viney things. They usually grow so fast, they start blooming in the house. My apple and peach trees will arrive next week. I uncovered the box where the strawberries were plus some onions and lo and behold, the strawberries are alive and so are the onions! There were only 5 strawberry plants but 25 more should come in the mail soon. My rhubarb is coming up also. We haven't seen any signs of the asparagus so hope it made it thru the winter. If it can survive along side the road in Illinois in the winter, it should survive here. I still can't get enthused about the garden but hopefully when I get going, I'll enjoy fighting the potato bugs, tomato worms, birds and mice AND rabbits.

Pa has seen 3 wolves out here! Did  I mention that in my last post?  Maybe that's why I don't like to go walking by myself. I'm trying to find a hand gun I'm more comfortable with to take on walks but haven't found "the one" yet.

Lawsy mercy! I've gotta go and put some more eye drops in my eye. It feels like I need to take it out, rinse it in the sink and put it back in my eye socket. Just my luck, it would roll down the drain, never to be seen again!
Toodles! 

1 comment:

  1. oh now I really wish I would have gotten my Bountiful basket this week...but Joseph City founders day, Bountiful Baskets was cancelled in our town...2 weeks...cant wait...I love the surprise when I get it...the bread is outstanding...

    ReplyDelete