Monday, November 18, 2013

Life at Hell N Gone Ranch


This is a typical night at our house. I'm all alone on the couch and Pa is buried under a dog pile. At least they keep him warm! Tilly, the black dog, likes her perch because she can look out the window and watch TV at the same time. I've never seen a dog who watches TV as much as she does.
When he's not piled on top of Pa, you can find Harley zonked out on the couch. These dogs don't do a darned thing all day and they sleep all night so what the heck are they doing sleeping during the day?
 Pa made two trips to Reserve, NM to get wood this month. The first time he got a truck and trailer filled with short logs.
 Can you believe $40.00? We love the guy in Reserve!
 The last trip he and Tom got a truck bed full of split wood and a trailer full of 1 inch slabs with the bark still on them. About 12 feet long. He is going to use them to shingle the outside of the room he is adding on to his travel trailer. He's only been working on his room for 3 years. About time he got it done!
 There's a new pest in town! We kept seeing little tunnels here and there around the house and garden. When we dug them up nothing was there. Now we know. I told him to enjoy his meal because he wasn't going to last long. I don't know how many of these ground squirrels are around the place. We hadn't seen them for the past 3 years. They must have heard that we serve gourmet meals and put the word out. I'm thinking the only way we can get rid of them is to buy one of those animal cages, trap them and let them go at Tom's. (Just kidding!)  We don't see them often enough to shoot them with the pellet gun . I haven't been able to hit the broad side of a barn ever since the sight broke off. Pa does pretty good tho.
 Here is our winter stack of wood. Plus we still have lots of logs we can cut and split.
 This is more than we had last year so this should hold us over.
DOG FOOD AT OUR HOUSE:
Cooking all those rabbits for the dogs to eat gave me a great idea. A can of dog food costs close to $1.00 to mix with the dry dog food.
 IGA in Saint Johns had chicken thighs and legs on sale for 69 cents a pound.So we got a couple of bags and cooked them up to use when we don't have rabbits to add to their food. I know, spoiled rotten. and to think of all the starving people all over the world. I usually pressure cook them so I can ground up the bones to add to their food but today I just baked them in the oven. They smell so good, I think I'll have two of them for our dinner. Hopefully the dogs won't mind.
I'm having the neighbors over for Thanksgiving again this year. I found these cute cupcake holders so bought the cut file. They didn't have a bottom so I had to make my own file for that. I'm going to put our guests names on them and fill them with candy and use them for name cards. Not that we care where people sit but I thought it would be a nice little addition. I have some santa ones I will use for Christmas. I sure hope someone gets a house with a kitchen some day out here. Ya know how much I hate to cook!  But we love our neighbors so it is worth the work.
Still no snow, knock on wood. We had some rain Friday night and it is supposed to rain this coming Friday.  Even tho we've had freezing weather, I'm still getting a little broccoli off my plants. They aren't even covered. Tom is still growing lettuce and spinach under row covers. If we ever buy a tractor, I'm going to make me an under ground green house so I can grow some things longer. Yeah, I know, don't hold my breath!  Our freezer is full so I'm waiting till the last minute to buy things for Thanksgiving dinner and then today I read that Butterball is going to have a shortage of turkeys! I haven't heard of any mass die offs of turkeys this year so I think they are saying that so they can hike up the price.
All righty then. That's it for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment