Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rain, Glorious Rain!!!

Yesterday we had our first real rain storm. We went grocery shopping in Show Low in the morning and then had a visit with our friends who had just moved into their new home in Show Low. Show Low is surrounded by forest and right off one of the main roads, you wander thru the roads and forest to find their home. It is so beautiful, home and forest alike. From their backyard deck, all you can see is forest. Simply breath taking. You feel like you are in Oregon. We had a rain shower when we were there. Unfortunately, when we got home, not a drop of rain was to be found. We unloaded the truck, opened up all the windows in the house and started putting the groceries away. All of a sudden, it started to downpour! We ran around shutting the windows on the front side of the house, closed both front and back door. I forgot about my craft room, oops! The carpet got wet and so did some of my scrap paper/cardstock. The leftovers from projects so no loss there really and I think most of it is fine. We got 3/4 of an inch in the rain gauge and 1000 gallons of water off the roof in 30 minutes. Pa is in the process of transferring everything into the big rainwater tank which holds about 3000 gallons. What a blessing the rain is. Everything is so dry here. My garden was under water for a short while but this morning, the water has soaked in and every thing looks so happy. My body is so happy too. The hot weather really is hard on me so when it is cool, it feels alive and so much better. I feel like jogging for a million miles but can't because of my knee.
 We have a new young snake prowling the property. It was about three feet long and as big around as a pencil.
 They are so pretty!
 When we got home yesterday as I was opening the gate, I saw a chipmunk or ground squirrel running across the driveway. First time we've seen one on the property. I wonder if it was here and eating my garden last year. Hopefully, our snakes will get it.
One of my favorite online stores, SVGcuts.com offered their customers a gift certificate to their store if you would submit your version of one of their purse files. They gave us the file for free. I used some old fashioned print cardstock and ran the front panels thru my Cuttlebug machine and glued some pearls onto the front panel. Instead of a paper handle, I used some chain I had laying around. People submitted some stunning purses. If you have a Facebook account, you can see them.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152045461652067&set=a.10152045458382067.1073741856.109879932066&type=1&theater

With so much rain, we won't be leaving the ranch anytime soon until the roads dry out. Where we live, you can get out most of the time after a rain except for a quarter mile spot where it is slimy clay. We've asked over and over for the POA to put some gravel down there but that request has fallen on deaf ears. UPS and FED-Ex will not deliver here when the roads are bad but they will meet you down by the highway.
40% chance of rain all day so I'll spend it playing in my craft room. I want to do laundry but won't because I hang everything out side to dry.

That catches us up for now. I found a bloom on my green beans!!! My grape tomatoes have about three baby tomatoes on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment